The Comprehensive Ranking System in Express Entry Program ranks eligible candidates for immigration to Canada under the following:

- core human capital factors;
- accompanying spouse or common-law partner factors;
- skill transferability factors; and
- factors relating to a provincial nomination or a qualifying offer of arranged employment.

There are a total of 1,200 points available under the Comprehensive Ranking System.

For candidates without an accompanying spouse or common-law partner, there are:

a maximum of 500 points available for core human capital factors;
a maximum of 100 points available for skill transferability factors; and
600 points available for either a provincial nomination of a qualifying offer of arranged employment.
For candidates with an accompanying spouse or common-law partner, there are:

a maximum of 460 points available for core human capital factors of the principal applicant;
a maximum of 40 points for the core human capital factors of the spouse or common-law partner;
a maximum of 100 points available for skill transferability factors; and
600 points available for either a provincial nomination of a qualifying offer of arranged employment.
Please click the following link to see the presentation about Express Entry, courtsey Immigration Canada.


Before you proceed to create your Expression of Interest profile, the following steps are mandatory;

  • IELTS: 

a language test is required for almost every immigration stream that leads to a Permanent Resident visa.

  • Credential assessment: 

Under the current FSW programs, foreign diplomas are given an equivalent value in Canada. The credential assessment can also be an important first step towards licensing or certification in their field in Canada. Click here to see if your diploma / degree match to a Canadian degree.

Resume and reference letters: 

Many people do not have an up to date resume and have not needed to ask their employer for reference letters. Beginning to update and edit a resume, as well as starting to determine how to obtain references may be useful for job searching or immigrating to Canada. 

Please note that you may need one Resume for Govt. and one for Employers as Employers generally understand clear and simple Resume.

As part of their Express Entry profile, candidates must submit valid language test results and Educational Credential Assessments (if their education was completed outside of Canada and they wish to receive points towards their Express Entry score). Please note that Resume and profile is most important in Expression of Interest profile. Express Entry profiles will be valid for one year. Candidates who do not receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence after 12 months can resubmit their profile and re-enter the pool if they still meet the criteria.

Medical exams

You must have a medical exam before you come to Canada. Your family members must also have one, even if they are not coming with you.

We will not accept your application if your health:

  • is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety
  • would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada

Police Clearance certificates

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. You cannot enter Canada if you pose a risk to Canada’s security.

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory (except Canada) that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

In some countries, it can take a long time to get police certificates. Therefore, you may want to  get them early. 

If your application for permanent residence is approved and when you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

The officer will ask to see your passport and other travel documents. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

When you arrive, you must have:

  • Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • Your valid permanent resident visa (if you are from a country that requires visas) and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended; therefore, you should make sure to use it before it expires.
  • Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. After completing your COPR,  the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also confirm your Canadian mailing address. Your permanent resident card will be mailed to you at this address.