Sponsor your Spouse for PR

If you marry to a foreigner, you can sponsor your spouse for Canadian PR. When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of your spouse or partner and their dependent children. Basic needs are: food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living, dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

The Length of the undertaking is 3 years from the day your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident.

You can become a sponsor if you are: at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, living in Canada: if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident. You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada

able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for: yourself, your spouse or partner, your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).

man chasing woman during daytime
man chasing woman during daytime